All content is based on the experience of real expats living across the globe and some results may vary! If you have any issues with the content please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will address your concerns.
It is not commonly known that an expat can get a driver’s license in Mexico with only a tourist visa. However, it should be mentioned that few states do this—one of them being Guanajuato. Therefore, if you are a tourist or an expat trying to get a driver’s license in San Miguel de Allende—or anywhere in Mexico—you can get one in Guanajuato.
*You can get your driver’s license in Merida, Yucatan as well. For more information, click here.
REASONS FOR GETTING A MEXICAN DRIVER’S LICENSE:
There are many reasons for an expat to get a driver’s license in Mexico. Here are but a few:
- Though you are perfectly legal to drive for the duration of your tourist visa with an American driver’s license, if you are from a different country, it may be beneficial to get a Mexican driver’s license.
- If you are pulled over for an offense, if you are going to get a driver’s license taken away, it is best to have a Mexican driver’s license to give to a police officer instead of one from your home country.
- Having a Mexican driver’s license ensures that you have learned the laws for driving in Mexico, which can only benefit your safety and the safety of your passengers.
- Lastly, a Mexican driver’s license has the most longevity to drive legally in Mexico.
VISA REQUIREMENTS FOR AN EXPAT TO GET A DRIVER’S LICENSE IN MEXICO:
Expats can get a driver’s license in Mexico with anyone of the following visas:
- An FMM Tourist Visa
- Preapproved Visa from a Mexican consulate – (stamp on your passport)
- Temporary Resident Card
- Permanent Resident Card
IN ADDITION TO THE VISA YOU WILL ALSO NEED:
- A Birth Certificate
- Valid Passport
- Proof of Address – Water bill, electricity bill, phone bill, property tax (predial), bank statement—none of these can be older than 90 days.
PRICE AND DURATION OF THE MOTORCYCLE LICENSE:
In Guanajuato, you can get three different length of expiration for your Mexican motorcycle, scooter, and ATV driver’s license, each with their own price. These are the price options for your motorcycle driver’s license in Mexico:
- $266 MXN for 2 years
- $314 MXN for 3 years
- $438 MXN for 5 years
SCOOTERS, MOTORCYCLES, AND ATVs:
Motorcycles, scooters, and ATVs require a separate license. If you can produce a foreign motorcycle license, then no test is required. Scooters, ATVs, and Motorcycles require valid registration, helmets, and a license plate. You must have your vehicle registration (tarjeta de circulación) and proof of your registration fee (refrendo).
*Note: Your license plate must be held in a way that is easily removed. Mexican police ticket you by taking your license plate. Then you get your license plate back after you pay your fine. If your license plate is held in a way that makes it difficult for them to take it off—by rivets for example—then you can be fined.
*To learn more about getting your motorcycle license in Mexico, click here.
MEDICAL FORM SO YOU CAN GET YOUR DRIVER’S LICENSE IN MEXICO:
You will need a medical form to get your Mexican driver’s license. The most convenient way to get this form is to visit your local Cruz Roja. There a doctor will give you a brief examination, fill out your form for you, and take your blood type to be printed on your driver’s license in case of an emergency.
If you are over 80 years old, you will be required to see an optometrist for an eye test to receive or renew your Mexican driver’s license.
PRICE AND DURATION OF THE MEXICAN DRIVER’S LICENSE FOR CARS:
In Guanajuato, you can get three different length of expiration for your Mexican driver’s license for cars, each with their own price. These are the price options for your driver’s license in Mexico:
- $532 MXN for 2 years
- $676 MXN for 3 years
- $819 MXN for 5 years
MEXICAN LEARNER’S PERMIT FOR CAR:
In Mexico, a learner’s permit is available at the age of 15 up until the age of 18. These are also available to tourists and expats in the state of Guanajuato. The prices in Guanajuato are as follows:
- $257 MXN for motorcycles, scooters, and ATVs
- $550 MXN for cars
*To learn more about how to get your Mexican driver’s license, click here.
*To get your driver’s license in San Miguel de Allende or any other part of Guanajuato, click here.
We want to thank you for making it to the end of our article.
If you would like to help support us please click below to find out how much it would cost to insure your adventure abroad!